Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nicotine Overdose?

Did you know you could overdose on nicotine? I sure didn't. I wasn't expecting any consequences when my best friend and I got high and then went to our favorite hookah lounge to smoke for a few hours. When I got up  afterwards and moved into the bright part of the store on my way out, I realized I was dizzy and had a pounding headache. The longer I stood up, the more ill I felt, until I could feel my pulse drumming in my ears and throat. To help me fix the headache, my friend took me to the grocery store to get something to drink and I was sure I was going to either pass out or vomit. According to my resident biologist, the nicotine had raised my heart rate to obscene levels. I even had a hangover the next day; with a headache and a complete lack of appetite. I love hookah, but I won't be overdoing it again.

Apparently, nicotine poisoning can be quite a problem. The equivalent of 30-40 cigarettes can kill a man. Symptoms include:

  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Headaches
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Pallor
  • Sweating
  • Palpitations
  • Lisps
  • Stomach pain/cramps/bloating
  • Weakness
  • Drooling
  • Seizures
(Wikipedia)

Obviously, my experience was not as severe as it could have been, but I hadn't even known this was possible.

ShareThis!