Tuesday, August 2, 2011

New Weird America

Most people think that LSD died out after Woodstock, but in my experience the psychedelic culture is still going strong after half a century. Either that, or I just happen to know the entire 9.7% of the population that has tried acid. 

My generation even has its own psychedelic music movement, known as New Weird America. It combines the traditional mix of psychedelic, folk, and rock with some electronic influence often thrown in, to make something 21st century and unique. Sometimes it's also called Freak Folk, a name of which I am very fond.


Devendra Banhart, one of my favorite New Weird America artists, looking fly.
I recommend having a listen, especially if you like Mumford & Sons, MGMT, or Brewer & Shipley.

Some popular artists associated with New Weird America include:
(links go to the Last.FM page of the respective artist)
Enhanced by Zemanta

ShareThis!